Thursday, October 6, 2011

your choice, but you live with the consequences


My 4, nearly 5-year-old, is selling homemade bread to raise money to purchase a bike (anyone want some?). After we (I) made 8 loaves (2 of which I couldn't bring myself to ask people to buy) of cinnamon roll bread the entourage headed out to solicit. To offer context, 48 hours ago it was sunny. Today it snowed. So it was cold and wet and overcast as we strolled about a beautiful neighborhood with homes larger than I ever want to clean. Half way through Katie (the bike wisher) starts to throw a fit because she wants to sit on the stroller our friend let us use for the BABY. Finally I just had to lay down the law. "Do you want to sell bread?" "Yes." "Then you need to stop this. If you don't, we will go home and you will not sell bread." We would have gone home, but she stopped, kind individuals are enjoying yummy bread and Katie is that much closer to owning a big-girl bike.

It's situations like these that make me feel good. Not because my child was throwing a royal fit but because I must have followed through enough times in the past for her to know I was serious.

1 comment: