Sunday, October 9, 2011

don't get your panties in a bunch...


...this post is not listed under "Kama Sutra". But in thinking over the roles of a homemaker, I think "geisha" is legit. Hear me out.

I've come far in my 6 years of marriage. I went from a left-wingish view on femininity to what I see as a healthier, more realistic view. The toughest pill I had to swallow was basically summed up in Dr. Larua's: The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands. I even made it through the entire book - but only with some forced humility. In college, I could have written a 20 page paper to counteract all her arguments. But after being married, wanting said marriage to be a happy one and realizing I was not perfect OR the only one with genuine needs in the relationship, I succumbed.

So did I really want to watch two episodes of The Big Bang Theory or 4 of The Office tonight all in a row? Well, okay, part of me sure did. :-) But this means the dishes won't get done. And boy do they need some doneing. What it boiled down to for me was that I know this ritual we have of watching episodes on Sunday night means something more to my husband. That need deserves to be respected and validated. It took me a while to decode this information about my guy, more time to accept it and even more to act upon it, but he's a patient man.

1 comment: