Saturday, December 17, 2011

days 9-18 in review

Well, I had a goal of cash-only shopping for the whole month. I didn't quite make it. :-) This set of days I didn't have cash on me - which is the standard around here so I broke out the credit card. BUT I pretended like I only had cash. That means I made my purchases seperate from toiletries and the like and I did not go overboard with shopping for deals.

Results: Came in under budget by about $12! So I'm thinking.... what to do with $12? Then I realize... case lot sales.
Confession time: One month we went through our food budget in [gulp] FIVE days! Because the case lot sales were too fabulous - and I even reeled myself in! So I'm thinking all this "excess" each month will be totaled and then I'll set it aside for when olives are $0.75/can and a 25# bag of sugar is $12. That's when I stock up.

I was even able to buy a few extras this second set of days. Canned corn was a great deal as was soup (a staple for Aaron during the school week).

Anyhow, so far, I think we're doing pretty well.

As a review, making bread does make quite a positive dent in the budget, not going to the store is incredibly helpful, putting on blinders when at the store is also key and making a menu based on the sales has been a fabulous strategy.

Until next time, this is Rebecca, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment