Monday, March 2, 2015

Of bullies and prophets


I am classifying Katherine's experience at school today as her first with bullies. A former best friend communicated to my daughter that they are no longer friends (we knew this was coming, I was kind of hoping Katherine would be the one to make it official) and she does not want Katherine to speak to her any longer. Katherine loves this girl, but anyway... The bullying part comes next. Said girl and girl's new gal pal then proceed to run up and touch my daughter. Repeatedly. Against her wishes. Now they are bullying. (I could just %^#* and %*+£ the *+€^%, but anyway.)

Picture bedtime mania in the bathroom when she shares this information. First, just the two of us. Now add a nosey and procrastinating Joel to the mix. Next comes a fiercely defensive daddy and two happily distracted younger sisters and we have a real party going. The concerned parents gather more details. The party moves to the living room. Discussion ensues. Practical tactics, not being a victim, loving yourself, why bullies bully, and so on. This was some really good stuff! I was rapidly checking off items from my "things-to-teach-your-kids-at-some-point" list. I felt proud of us as parents with our cute little family and then we paused again to check in with the kids. 

Katherine (8 yrs old) got it. She reflected back what we said in her own words. (Don't know that she's ready to implement anything yet, but we're getting there!) and then Aaron addressed Joel (5yrs old). Joel. Joel Joel Joel. He busted out with something like, "If the bad guys come I will just punch dem in the face..." Oh Joel. Forever living for the next battle. The kind-hearted warrior I felt he would be. The spacey, absent-minded child I did not know he would be. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. But oddly enough I then thought of Enos.

The Mormons have a book of scripture they (we, I) believe tells portions of the history from the Americas from about 600BC to about 400AD. One prophet in there is Enos (the son of another prophet). His contribution isn't long but his story goes something like this: one day he is hunting in the forest when "...the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.[The Book of Mormon, Enos 1:3]. Enos then spends the rest of the day and into the night in prayer. He hears the voice of The Lord and converses with Him. 

I'll bet Enos was like Joel and Joel could be like Enos. I think that maybe Enos was a typical boy who grew up running around and being loud. He probably beat up a lot of imaginary bad guys too. Sure he heard the teaching of his prophet-dad but he never really gave them much thought. He grew up into a young man just sort of swaying through life until he was out hunting one day and it hit him like a ton of bricks. He walked out of those woods a changed man. But "changed" is inadequate. Maybe...he came out of the woods an enhanced, stronger, deeper, man. He was still a fighter, possessing a wild heart, but he had an eternal purpose woven into his soul now to direct that fight. He understood love for others. He felt love for others. He knew love for others. He couldn't just sway through life anymore. He had to do something and be something. He has to spread God's love.

Well, of course it is all speculation. But it makes me smile.


1 comment: